Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Inspiration...

"Words, because they represent ideas, have the power to sway nations, touch and inspire individual lives. It seems through the centuries, whereever Christians have lived in community, education has resided- first to teach the Word and secondly, to contemplate and consider the words and lives of others."
-Karen Andreola


In the search for living, rich, beautiful books for my children, I have come to see the nourishment such literature brings! I can recall the stories that still dance in my own mind and heart...those that have made an impression that is stamped upon me forever. It is so easy to forget my own heart in the journey of motherhood, but I can not neglect this vital piece of my own continuted education. I must be as diligent in my search for words that will speak to me now as I am for the words that touch the lives of my children.

I love ethnologies. I love reading the stories of real people in real places and having the sense that I am there among them, tasting a culture that I don't comprehend without their narrative. This is my new favorite:



These essays read like a journal, swirling with the insight of an American in Paris. It is all at once romantic and witty and full of keen observations that have taken me inside French life. If you happen to be looking for something to nurture your sense of adventure this season, this book just may be it!

No comments: