Saturday, March 22, 2008

Who are these guys anyway Part 3: Jones



So, who is our little man? Well, he's definately a little MAN! Something in me was concerned when I found out I was having a boy after having two girls. I was thrilled to be able to experience parenting both sexes, but was honestly nervous about emasculating this little guy. Notice the pink wall in the background of this picture? This symbolizes the life of my son. Our house is full of pink and purple, of baby dolls and glitter and feather boas. What was this going to do to a boy that I want to see grow into a man's man... One that would someday lead his family, become a priest in his home, and cultivate a life of passion and purpose as a provider? Well, the inate boy things that are often hidden under the surface of so many are literally screaming out of Jones. Pink surroundings and all, this little guy KNOWS he is a man.

He embraced the joy of football season this fall, begging for ESPN whenever he had a free moment... he loves his trucks and blocks and balls. He loves to race his sisters in the backyard or in looops around the house and he loves to be dirty. Perhaps the bath afterwards inspires his obsession with getting messy because he is a big fan of splashing like a wild animal in the tub. Jones has a sincere love for people around him, he goes nuts to see his grandparents and is always up for cuddling, especially if its under a giant fort in the living room. For a two year old he is incredibly focused; he loves to read books, with someone else, or alone on his little belly. He loves to practice drawing circles and does this often while the girls are working on their handwriting or a math lesson.

I have also noticed that fear is not in any of his decision making equations. Its not been uncommon for us to find him jumping off the kitchen table or couch... or Halle's top bunk. There were times in the last two years that I wondered how he was still alive... and I am still waiting for the day when we will experience his first set of stiches or a cast... it must be coming soon, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true, so true sister. Well,well,well, did you ever think you would read a comment by ME on your blog?! Shocking I know, and don't expect it again!
It is beautiful and makes me laugh. and I actually like laughing. Did you know that?
So I TOTALLY love how manly Jones is and like to honor you in how you have totally encouraged him in that even with all the pink and such. I am always learning from you-young friend 'o' mine. =0)Ha.
love you
al