Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Cookies


Girl Scouts have a motto : They "build girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place..." and build me into a thin- mint hoarding machine! What is it about cookies sold by sweet little girls that makes us all say, "Sure, I'd love some!" with a sugary smile? I think that as much complaining as we all do over door-to-door sales and the monetizing of girl scout cuteness, deep down we are longing for the girls in green to ring our bell.

For those of you who are disciplined enough to resist the thin-mint and other yummy girl-scout confections, props to you. I really don't know if I will ever understand you and your ability to pass up the box of decadence that presently sits on my top kitchen shelf... free from the prying glare and hungry eyes of my children. I don't plan to offer any cookies to them. I really will eat the whole box and I will miss them when they are gone. I will mourn until next Spring when the cookie sale comes again.

Maybe next year I might offer one or two to Josh or stash some in the kids' Easter baskets, but probably not.... I should be in the throws of guilt and shame for such obscene covetedness, but I did just have a baby ten days ago. I think I will chalk this one up to postpartum cravings and the hormonal need (read: NEED) for chocolate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS- she is beautiful!
amazed that she's really here. so proud of you. keep the snuggling up and throw the messes in the closet to deal with in the summer- wholeheartedly embrace these days girlfriend. go slow. i am with you, praying and cheering you on.
always,
mandy