Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What Summer Brings...



"We have come to the place where we can honestly say that there is no distinction in our home school between home and school--we are living to learn and learning to live all at the same time. That is what happens in a home." ~Sally Clarkson

I am letting these words seep in deep today. Do any of you question this from time to time? Do any of you try to mimic what you knew to be "school" and get locked into your lists of 'what must come next...and then, and then...?' I do this more often than I'd like to admit...

I think it is reasonable for moms to feel a little overwhelmed at times...there is so much involved in the keeping of our days and the running of our homes. There is so much involved in our own hearts as we nurture and pour out our lives and gifts and loves to our children. There is oh so much involved in the little hearts of our young ones as they discover life in a family, how to relate to the God who made them and loves them so dearly, how to relate to others...

My days since Lael was born have felt overwhelming more often than not. I think that beyond the reasonable reflection and questioning, I have fallen into a bit of a "got to do it right" attitude. It is quelching my joy.

So, I am throwing out my list of to-dos today. Right relationships and fun are all that is on the docket. The sweet scent of summer is changing things up around here: the laughter, the play,the time together... oh the time! This season is infusing our home with renewed vision for living and learning...I am inspired to have this season spill over into our "school" year and have those distinctions beween home and school entirely diminish.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Kristen,
This is a constant challenge for me. I can get so hung up on the lists and TO DOs of our days that life and/or school may be getting done, but it's ceased to be enjoyable for any of us. I love your phrasing: "..relationships and fun are all that is on the docket." Sounds delightful!

Enjoy!
~Stacy