Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Bums



There have been several blog posts rolling around in my mind the last few weeks, but I can't seem to actually put them into words... still working on exactly what I want to say (Can anyone tell I have some slight issues with perfectionism?). In the meantime, I decided to write about baby bottoms... lucky you!

When I had my first baby, cloth diapering wasn't even on my radar. But by the time my second rolled around I really wanted to give it a try. Josh and I purchased Fuzzi Buns and although I liked using them, at the time it seemed like alot of work to have so much extra laundry. I got a little lazy and decided that for my sanity at the time I needed to give them to a friend and just use disposables. Now with four kids, I am one with the laundry room... because let's face it, if I'm not hanging out there everyday, things get ugly pretty quickly around here.

Since Lael was born I have wanted to give cloth diapers another try. Josh has been slow to convince because he was worried about the extra work for me, but the clincher came last week at Costco. Math people, its all about the math.

2 children in diapers at $35 per month each of Costco diapers = $70
Wipes from Costco= $16
Damage to the planet= we don't even want to know, but its got to be heaps right?
VS.
14 cloth diapers with inserts + doublers for overnight at $17.95 each
20% off Mother's Day special factored in takes off $2.69 per diaper....
To be used forever and ever = pretty much a whole lot less!

We decided to go with the bum genius brand this time around because of this incredible feature: they adjust from newborn size to toddler with cutie little snaps!!! That's right... Jones and Lael can both wear them. They are cute too. We decided white is a bit boring and so we got the lime green, light blue, yellow and pink. They are soft and toasty in the winter and will wick away moisture in the summer. They wash SOOO easily as well: no soaking required. Just rinse, wash, rinse, plop in dryer, that's it.

I know it seems silly, but I almost cried when Jones told me " like it mama, like it" when I put his first one on him today. We will begin potty training him this summer (even though he already turned 2,its my style to just let kids be naked through this process and that doesn't happen easily in the winter months around here) so I know its not a long time for him to wear these new diapers,but it was just so nice to put something comfy on him today. Hooray for happy bums!

6 comments:

Stacy said...

Kristen,
I'm glad you posted about this. This is the first time I've considered cloth diapers, too. Everyone else is potty-trained, but not at nighttime (still 2 in pull-ups). And we got a voucher from the state when we first got Adelia and spent it all on diapers. So I have a stack of disposable diapers (free to me) sitting in her room. But when those are gone...? I've been thinking I should do some research on them. Thus, your post was timely! :)
Do keep me posted on the pros/cons of cloth diapering!

~Stacy

Stacy said...

Oops! I forgot to *also* add:

Happy Mother's Day!

~Stacy

crunchy peas said...

bum genius have been our choice of dipes too! glad they are working for you...to be honest, I am a little sad that Laurel is walking around here in her Elmo undies these days.

Jodi said...

Oh, I'm so glad you posted on this. Now you just have to promise to update us! :) By #3 I think I'm with you- there's no way to avoid the constant laundry, so I might as well just embrace it. I hope it continues to work well for you!

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!
love that your following your
heart & going with the seasons
of life. I'm still in it with fuzzi buns & bumpkins- part of daily life around here.
your awesome lady! keep loving with abandon like jesus loves you.
mandy

Stacy said...

Kristen,
Okay... I'm still thinking on these. Can I ask you a question?
On the website it says "one size". Is that TRUE? (ie- the diaper I buy today will still fit Adelia when she's 7 months old? And then 14 months old?) How is that possible?

Just curious. I'm off to research this a bit more...

~Stacy