Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Vote



I'm listening to NPR as I pack up the old house today...people are calling in from all over the country with their stories of voting, standing in line, talking to their neighbors. I love stories....

My story was simple. I decided to wait until this morning to cast my ballot, even though all of Washington State votes absentee. I drank my coffee and sat by the fire, Halle watched the process over my shoulder and all the kids helped me lick the envelope. We walked to the post box together and plopped in our vote. I felt a gush of American pride and civil responsibility come over me as we flipped up the flag to alert the postman of our very important outgoing mail. Is that dorky? Its the same sensation I get before every ball game as I burst out the national anthem...or when I see the fireworks on the Fourth of July...or stand to honor the color guard in our yearly parade downtown. I love this country, I love the promise it holds and I love its people and their stories. I feel priveledged to have one today.

No comments: