Monday, November 3, 2008

Quiet and Living Grateful

As I write this I am sitting in my parent's home, near a wall lined with windows peeking out onto their gardens...mist has settled over our valley here and the brilliance of fall's colors seem to be a little deeper, the stain a bit more permanent and vibrant a midst the grey. I love the whispy feel of a day like this...hunkered down with a cup of coffee and books to read by the fire. Candles lit, fire blazing, the morning is blank with possibility, waiting for the richness and glory my children will bring with their questions and laughter and the occasional squabble. Life is so good.

My grandfather was known as man who counted his blessings. Each year on my birthday, I received a letter from him, typed in brown ink on his cream stationary...smelling crisp and new and prepared just for me. He would share his wisdom, his hopes and dreams for me and tell me what he experienced at that particular year in his life, his blessings and how grateful he was for all he had been given. He actually kept a list of his blessings in his wallet at all times. What a way to live...what a beautiful perspective. I want to live gratefully...I want to live quietly and soak in mornings like this.

So in honor of November and the season of Thanksgiving, I am going to keep a list of my blessings here in this place. I think I will just add a side bar and update it each day. Would you join me in this? Even just once, in your own blogs, take some time to mark your blessings and share them with us? It is my prayer that we can experience living grateful together...

Today I am so grateful for...
~this mist and the rich color outside my window
~Halle and Lael playing peacefully beside me...relishing in sisterhood
~Hazelnut Biscotti Coffeemate...(how have I never had this stuff before?)
~Family Movie Night...still talking about the new American Girl Movie this morning.
~fleece sweats and chenile blankets...all things soft really
Most importantly today...
~my amazing husband, and all the work he is doing to help me pack up the house and move into our new one. We have our first night there Wednesday!

4 comments:

dawn klinge said...

I wish you all the best as you pack up and move to your new home. I'll join you this month in keeping a list of blessings I'm thankful for...I love this idea.

laura waldren said...

Beautiful thoughts. One of my blessings is being your mom. You are a delight...
mom

Kristen said...

I've been feeling compelled to do this with my kids this month, but hadn't come up with a plan yet...around the table each night? During school time?

I will gladly join you in making a daily list of all I have to be thankful for. Wonderful idea.

Have a great day!

Jenna said...

I will join you as well! Great idea. Hope your move goes well!