Friday, September 18, 2009

Finding Peace


Ambleside England 1890

Taking in landscapes always relaxes me...I love drives, I love scenes, I love the stories they tell or what is happening in the hearts of God's people, of what wonders have been seen and lived and loved. I feel fresh and inspired and ready for whatever beckons after soaking in a view.

Lately, my soul has been in need of refreshing. My fuse seems short, tears bubble over and stay a while and I'm not ever quite sure why. Patterns develop with my children,I snap, I cease to listen fully, I forget to tie heart strings of fellowship that will remain long after my children age. Habits of response set in without much intention and I quickly find myself deep in a valley with only high walls around me on every side. No view. No perspective.

A dear friend spoke to me yesterday of practicing peace. Her words were so life giving, so true and struck my heart with clarity. Each moment, each response, each thought poses an opportunity, to continue further and further into a deep valley or to practice peace, to lay at the feet of our sweet Jesus the emotions, the fears, the bad habits. When we practice this in small ways, in interactions that typically cause stress, we begin to emerge victorious! I want to fight to follow the life we have been called to and in the thick of the battle the voice of our Lord whispers, " I will give. I will give you peace. I will go so far beyond your understanding and guard your heart and mind in the name of my Son." (Philippians 4:7) And so I am choosing today to believe him, to take the Lord at his word, to trust in the restoration of Christ in my anxious heart and to seek his peace today.

I have been chewing on the words of Charlotte, as usual, and still become overwhelmed with thankfullness at her writings, at the simplicity of her methods and how she has encouraged me on this homeschooling path.The picture above is a painting of her sweet Ambleside, her home and the place of her school. The view is breathtaking isn't it? I feel in so many ways that in our home, we trust in this view and the perspective of a treasured mentor. Today I am remembering to this blessing to, taking comfort and being so thankful for what is taking root in our little school.

When we first started homeschooling, one of the things that I loved, was a felt peace. I still relish in the days of learning and growing in our home, where babies can nap, training can happen in a safe shelter and minds can soak in exciting new ideas all throughout the day. We are being intentional as we hunker in, we aren't bustling, its slow and steady and the rhythm is one I cherish. We are cultivating peace here and I am so thankful for that work. I pray I can stay steadfast in this task, be faithful to this work and see it through. How easily I can become cumbered down and busy...even with wonderful things! I am praying that I will remember to count the cost, to have a wide view as I choose how to spend my time and invest my resources.

If you haven't read it already, please check out Anne's post on peace, it was so sweet, wouldn't a peaceful place like this be the sweetest addition to a home?

4 comments:

dawn klinge said...

Thank you for these sweet, encouraging words. Your homeschooling days sound beautiful. I to, cherish Charlotte's (and Anne's) writings. :) Have a great weekend.

Jodi said...

Ohhhh I needed to read this today. Thank you. :)

Kristen said...

We seem to be on the same wave length! I've been feeling like this too.

Every time I see you interact with your children, you are the model of a gentle mother. I really mean that. They are blessed to have you!

Thanks for the sweet words!

Ari & Shane said...

Do you have room for one more family member? :P After reading your post I find myself wanting to drive right over to your house and spend some peaceful moments with you! Your words inspired me to strive to make my home a more peaceful place. Thank you!