Monday, September 22, 2008

In Rememberance

Its been a hard week. We lost my grandfather on Thursday after a week of caring for him as a family in his home. I am at loss for how to describe the beauty of each moment we shared with him and with one another...I am at a loss to even begin to describe the significance of his life and the love I have for him. I know that he was a rare man of great influence. I know that he loved others. I know that he loved Jesus. There is so much I want to write about this man and I hope to a bit later in the week. Today I am finding my thoughts so muddled.

Autumn was his favorite time of year and I thought this poem by Walter de la Mare was fitting for where I am today:

AUTUMN
There is a wind where the rose was;
Cold rain where sweet grass was;
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought gold where your hair was;
Nought warm where your hand was;
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Sad winds where your voice was;
Tear, tears where my heart was;
And ever with me,
Oh, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Kristen, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. What wonderful memories that last week with him must hold. We'd love to hear more about him when you find the words. :)

amy said...

I am so sorry to hear about the death of your Grandfather. I am glad however that you were able to be with him and your family was together to say goodbye.
Hugs to you guys!

Anna Morrison said...

My thoughts are with you sweet one.

Megan said...

Praying for you. If you have any needs as you prepare the service, please call (though I know he had it well planned!). We'll see you soon.

clara jane said...

Thinking of you.