Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Harvest


The bounty from the front walk...


The pumkins are still plumping in the backyard, but one of the beautiful elements of the harvest we are enjoying is the insane ammount of lavender that is produced every spring and summer in our yard. In August, the kids and I harvested the beautiful stuff for the second time and are currently finding ways to enjoy it! I think we gave more than half of it away so that other families could enjoy getting crafy with it too, but we are also making...

~dry bouquets
~lavendar sachets
~sugar scrub
~firesticks

The boquets give off a wonderful fragrance all year long! I stick them is vases or jars all around the house for color and flair...

For some added insensity, I use a pestal, or have the kids grind the blooms in the palm of their hand before filling organza bags from the craft store for the sachets. These are favorites for the girls to stash in their drawers or give away to friends at the holidays.

The sugar scrub is a combination of ground lavender, essential oil, sugar and lemon and is incredible! I can't wait to suprise my mom, mother-in-law and sisters with this at Christmas...or I guess right now (hi guys!).

Lavender Firesticks are my personal favorite because to create them, I use the stem of the lavendar, a piece of the plant that is typically thrown away, although it has such a beautiful fragrance! My friend, Yvonne shared this idea with me a few years ago and I have loved the addition it has made to making our home cozy all winter long. Simply dry lavender stems and toss a few onto the fire or even use them as fire starters... the heat will fill your home will the smell of lavender! I am planning on making some bundles of these this year to wrap and give with some special matches for hostess gifts or stocking stuffers.

I am learning so much about the healing benefits of lavendar these days. Did you know it is a natural anti-fungal and also great for helping you sleep... that is the best perk for me in the early days of the school year...

6 comments:

Anna Morrison said...

you are full of the sweetest wisdom. i may take this and run with it. thanks for sharing.

enjoy the start to your week. you do an amazing job within your home. know that your work is not in vain. i appreciate you.

Kristen said...

Thanks Anna! I am encouraged by your sewing projects as well! Isn't being at home wonderful?

Anonymous said...

Hey birthday girl!!! Thinking of you guys out on the town tonight. Hope it was special. Thanks for sharing things to do with lavender. Who knew?!

clara jane said...

Hi Kristen,

Thanks for the lavender photos!

-Clara

crunchy peas said...

if you have any extras that you can't find uses for...we would love some :)

amy said...

Hi Kristen. Thanks for the "wow's" about our party. We are so at the same place aren't we! Pilgrim's Progress is wonderful, you guys will love it.
We have not read anne of green gables, but we listened to an audio dramatization by focus on the family as a family and the boys loved it!
I can't wait to hear about your party, it sounds like it will be super fun.