Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Book of our Days....


I am a list maker. I keep track of life through pages and pages of notebooks and to-do lists and journals. Last winter I saw the idea online (although I have NO idea where...sorry if the original creator of this concept is out there receiving zero credit) to make these lists pretty. I dug through lots of old catalogs and clipped and glued into a blank journal. It was a pretty beginning that I added to with little doodles.
I leave this book out on the counter in my kitchen and record any special happenings inside...cute things the kids say, things I want to remember (make doctor's appointment...buy socks) and then I have a handy space for what tends to tumble out of my mind. Here is a close-up of a day in April:

The joy of doing this is to have something beautiful to look at,because I jot things down all day. I think we often have to choose beauty, to find interesting ways to create and surround ourselves with things that make us happy and that we feel cozy around...finding true beauty in small things is important to me.
It also keeps things together (I am famous for losing things, just ask my mother in law) and most importantly, it serves as a recored for how we are spending our days around here. I have a feeling that in 30 years, I am going to LOVE reading what we ate for dinner and who I wrote a thank you note to and that my kids played monopoly and giggled like crazy...
Life is happening with a great hum all day long and I don't want to miss the small things...or forget them when I am all wrinkly.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Brilliant idea, and I am totally going to copy! ;) I am a constant list-maker, but this is such a better way to do this and not lose little bits of important notes floating around on little pieces of paper. Plus, it will help me to remember all those hilarious things my little guy says on a daily basis. Thanks for sharing this idea!

Anna Morrison said...

beautiful idea. i am inspired. :)

amy said...

Beautiful Kristie. I want you to make my daily book too! You can write all my lists etc. 'Cause my handwriting and "doodles" would really ruin the beauty!
:)
I love hearing about your life!

Anonymous said...

I had to start doing this by carrying around a moleskin with me, becuase I kept loosing my to-do lists, lol. Now I keep a special moleskin to write notes in and sketches and stuff for my husband to take with him when he deploys. Aren't they so much fun to look back at? I just started checking your blog...and I'm enjoying it. Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

i love peeking inside other people's journals :^)