Monday, April 14, 2008

Nectar


So, I realized lately that I feed my kids a lot of sugar... I love to bake and to smother their otherwise healthy flaxseed waffles with syrup every morning. There has been considerable guilt about this on my part, but then I consider: "hey... I have 4 kids and they are so much happier with slurpy, syrupy waffles at 7am, so what the heck." I was fairly resigned to continue this pre-diabetic breakfast feast until I read Jodi's blog about Agave Nectar (otherwise known as : fruit of the gods). You have got to read all the information she has there about how this kind of sugar is actually good for you, as far as sugar can be good for you, of course...

Now I am happy to report that my children are receiving Agave Nectar on their waffles and they haven't even noticed the swap! This was highly unexpected as my children notice the ever so subltle differences between regular or light vanilla soy milk. Score one for me! And please don't mention this post to them if you bump into them at breakfast time.

4 comments:

Cutzi said...

yes. I am going to start doing this too. I have the syrup and put it on the kids oatmeal every morning (we just recently started eating pumpkin pancakes more frequently).

And you answered another question I've had. I was just reading some of your back posts and read the one about going Vegan. I was curious if you did soy, rice or almond milk. Both of my children had some dairy issues (Steele spit up blood at 2 months and we had him on almond milk until he was almost 2) and Adia tends toward eczema - we were doing raw milk but after a little dose of some bad bacteria are using non-homogenized low temp pasteurized milk and both seem to be doing well on it.

Oops. Sorry. Long comment. Just interesting to think of all the options.

Jodi said...

I'm so glad you like it! Isn't it the best?! I haven't thought to try it on pancakes and the like...we will definitely be attempting that.

Anna Morrison said...

Yum! Thanks for the tip. I have heard about this natural type of sugar but just have never picked it up at the store. I enjoy trying new things and we use sugar quite often. I can imagine a great deal of things we could use this for.
Hope you all are well. I love cruising on over to your blog.
~Anna

Anna Morrison said...

I got to thinking about it, I hope I didn't spook you out. I am Mandy's friend. :) I guess you may have known, but just wanted to tell you anyway.
~Anna